Instructions To Help You Clean Up After A Water Disaster With Mold Growth On Your Home's Wood Surfaces

11 December 2017
 Categories: , Blog


After a water leak or flood inside your home, there are many areas of your home interior that that may be damaged. Water can warp wood furniture and surfaces in your home and lead to mold growth if it remains wet for long enough. Here are some instructions to help you clean up after a water disaster and remove mold growth on your home's wood furniture and other surfaces to restore its condition and appearance.

Dry Out Area

As you begin the mold clean-up process, remove any standing water to begin drying out the area. A shop vacuum is helpful to pull up most standing water from floors and carpeting, and you can empty the collection bucket as you work.

Place and direct the fans so they are blowing on the wet surfaces and turn on your home's heating system to additionally help dry out the surfaces in your home. Open windows in your home to help minimize the air's humidity level, as long as the outside air is not humid. A dehumidifier running in your home can also help reduce air humidity when the exterior environment is still quite humid.

Remove Mold Growth

Now you can begin to clean up any visible mold growth on wood. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to vacuum up any mold spores on your wood furniture or other surfaces. Be sure you wear a dust mask to prevent inhalation of the mold spores.

If you don't have a vacuum with a HEPA filter, you can saturate a cloth with vinegar and wipe off the mold growth. Vinegar is a mild acid that can kill most mold species. Be sure to rinse the cloth of any mold spores between wipings to prevent further spreading of the spores. Allow the wood to air dry after wiping it with vinegar.

If you don't have access to vinegar, you can use some warm water with several squirts of liquid dish soap to wipe off the mold. This cleaner will remove the mold spores and disinfect the wood surface.

Remove Mold Stains

If mold has growth into the grain of the wood, the mold spores present no danger to your or your family's health, as they are inside the wood and cannot become airborne. Mold spores, alive and dead are only a health concern when they become airborne.

To remove the stain, use sandpaper on the stain to sand the surface and remove the stain. Often the mold spores can go deeper than this and will still have a visible stain on the wood, but after any finish has been sanded off you can apply a wood bleach containing oxalic acid to remove the mold discoloring from the wood. This type of bleach removes the mold stain but doesn't fade the wood's natural pattern.

Contact a company, like Personal Touch Services, for more help.